“How I survived Nigeria attacks and kills my 16 friends”
A Nigerian man told the BBC how he managed to survive his hunting party attack, which killed 16 of his companions and shocked the country.
A group of young men, mostly in their 20s, were traveling behind the truck when they were stopped by the alert.
“They asked us to get off the vehicle without saying much, and one of them hit our leader with an axe,” Abubakar Shehu, 20, told BBC Pidgin.
“Then they started beating us. I was able to dodge a few punches and tackles and do my best.
“I got stuck in the ditch and got up and was able to hide in an unused property before coming out around 10 p.m.,” he said.
While hiding, he could hear his friend screaming and crying as he was beaten and then burned to death.
Xie Hu said: “I can hear everything that happens, and I’ve been scared all my life. Thankfully, no one has seen me.”
He then returned to the road where he was able to stop the truck and the driver picked him up and took him to safety.
Last week’s horrific attacks on groups from northern Nigeria have exacerbated tensions across the country. They spent weeks traveling the South, hunting wildlife for sale, and then going home to celebrate Eid.
Amnesty International and other rights groups call on authorities to ensure service to justice.
President Bola Tinubu also condemned the murders, saying Nigerians have the right to move freely. He ordered security agencies to find the killer, adding that “jungle justice” has no status in the country.
Police said they have arrested 14 people in connection with the case, with many people across the country following to see how the case disappears.
Relations between the northern and southern Nigerians have been in conflict with the northern animal herders and southern farmers, clashing on access to water and grazing lands, killing thousands of people.
Besides the lack of security throughout Nigeria, this is one of the reasons why residents of Ulomi Town, Edo Prefecture, and many others have set up vigil groups.
Hunters from northern Kano state were equipped with traditional rifles, but they said they showed the weapons licenses when they were stopped by alert people.
For the victims’ families in Toronkawa Village, more than a week after the horror incident, the crying and mourning lasted for a week.
Adama Ali, the mother of one victim, suffered damage. “I kept calling him, but no one picked it up,” she said.
Edou State Governor Okpebholo visited his Kano colleagues on Monday to ease tensions. He also expressed his condolences to the victims’ families and assured them of compensation.
Lost many young people, the village is still mourning because everyone knows the victim. Their family’s house is filled with sympathy guests.
Mustapha Usman, president of the Village Hunter Association, said nothing can make them more happy than seeing justice.
Mr. Shehu agreed.
He said, “I thank God for keeping my life and taking me home and praying for those who have lost it.”
More Nigerian stories from the BBC:
go bbcafrica.com More news about the African continent.
Follow us on Twitter @bbcafrica,on Facebook BBC Africa Or on Instagram bbcafraca
BBC Africa Podcast